Wednesday, April 16, 2008

My First Penguin


My passion for penguins has evolved over four decades. Growing up in South Australia I was exposed to what we then called, fairy penguins,  but they were hard to see as they were restricted to a few off shore islands and they are also nocturnal. During the day they hide away in rock crevices to escape predators.  I have a few shots from those very early days ... long before I was interested in photography.

There is one very famous place in the world to see wild Little Penguins   (Eudyptula minor) as they are more properly now called.  The Penguin Parade at Phillip Island in Victoria, Southern Australia is experienced by thousands of visitors every evening. also have one of the world's best visitor centers and a penguin research and education program.  While Little Penguins come ashore year round at this location the numbers can vary depending on the month as it relates to their breeding cycle



  

No comments: